Abyss of Silence

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

FAT

Ladies, can we please change the subject? I'm really tired of this one. We all suffer from this self-hating lunacy but do we have to discuss it so much?

A serious (or not so serious) discussion about a diet is fine; I'm all for it. What I'm talking about are the little every day comments. The next time I get together with a friend over a meal I don't want to hear about how she "shouldn't". I don't mind that she will anyway (because we women love food) just that she will feel it necessary to say that she "shouldn't". Honey, do as you like, I'm not judging you. I'm busy beating myself up.

EVERY woman does this. I find that the skinny ones are the worst offenders. They talk about food more than chubby people. They'll go on and on about how they won't eat something and about (scandal!) how they missed one day at the gym last week and on a day when their jeans are a little tighter than usual about "oh my god I'm getting so fat".

Honestly, why are you saying these things to me? Are you fishing for a compliment? Do you want me to contradict you? Are you trying to make me feel bad? What? What is it? What do you want?

We really need to stop making our diets our lives.

I don't think men are nearly as hard on us as we are on ourselves. How do men put up with this? Of course, some of them succumb to this themselves which I find even more unattractive.

Really ladies, we truly are much more interesting than this.

5 Comments:

  • zoink! hello? I totally agree, but I totally do it too. Usually AFTER I ate the entire pint of Ben and Jerry's.

    I think the mouth sometimes acts as a pressure release valve. There's so much stress built up between what we want/should/will do and what we believe everyone else wants us to do that the words just come out to relieve the stress.

    Personally, I don't care what you eat either - as long as I don't have to pay for it.

    -Toria

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:21 PM  

  • Yeah, I totally do it too. And when I say things like that I hate myself. It's like what Lindsay Lohan called it in "Mean Girls", word vomit. You know you're boring people and yet you cannot stop saying it. I was just venting (about myself as much as other people).

    By Blogger Abyss of Silence, at 6:16 PM  

  • If I continue to gain weight, can I complain about it? :-)

    Gimme another piece of pizza and a bottle of wine! After we rollerblade sunday!

    By Blogger Dana Fredsti, at 3:18 PM  

  • My alias would be:

    Oonaugh Lady Oranmore and Brown

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:50 PM  

  • Zhadi- no. Well, maybe.

    Mom- And I accidentally deleted it from the wrong post. Why Oonaugh Lady Oranmore and Brown. I don't get it, is it from something? And by the way I think that would draw more attention to you. People'd say, "hey check out that chick with the freaky name!" Or is that your plan, they'd be so preoccupied by the name that they'd not concern themselves that it was an alias? The name is so preposterous that it would figure no sane person (at least not one on the run) would make up a name like that. You sly thing!

    By Blogger Abyss of Silence, at 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home