Abyss of Silence

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

My apologies, Kimberly Saunders, wherever you are.

I was wrong. I freely admit it. Granted you'll probably never read this since we lost touch when I left Simon & Schuster and indeed New York city several years ago. Nevertheless, you were right, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a really freaking great show. I poo-pooed you at the time. I judged without knowing and I was wrong. There, I've said it.

My friend Dana has forced this show upon me and I cannot be more grateful. I didn't get her enthusiasm at first. The first two seasons are "cute" and little more. It's season three where it hits it's stride and you really start to care and get into it. At least that is how it worked for me. It's a cleverly written show with a cast of funny, interesting characters who make up for the pouty self-involved heroine.

Granted Buffy has a lot to be self-involved about but her teenage insecurities were enough to make me want to bitch-slap her at times, not to mention her pouty, depressing soul-posessed vampire boyfriend, Angel.

From season three on it just seems to get better and better. And now (in season 6) my ridiculously romantic nature is being pampered by the delicious character of Spike. Ahh Spike, what a guy ...er vampire. He's so much better than Angel and I mean that in every way. Let us examine...

Angel vs. Spike










In Life
Angel was basically an alcoholic man-slut.
Spike was a sweet-natured, unappreciated guy who wrote bad love poems.

In Death
Angel (or Angelus) was a right bastard. Obviously he needed to feast upon humans given his vampire status but he went one step further, preferring to torture people. He was so bad that a gypsy tribe placed a curse on him so that he would regain his soul and remember all of the terrible things he did. Only then does he become a good guy. The second he looses his soul, he's a completely evil bastard again.

Spike on the other hand considers himself "the big bad," but in truth is not. He feasts upon humans (until the initiative and the chip) but doesn't torture them. He's a bit ambitious with the rest of the vampires but not ruthlessly so. Despite his vampyric state when we first meet him he's already in love with another vampire, later on falling to pieces when she leaves him. Seasons later he ends up (very reluctantly) falling hopelessly in love with Buffy and remains loyal to Buffy and the Scooby gang, and all this WITHOUT A SOUL. He doesn't need a soul to be a good guy, to have a heart. Favorite quote, "I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it."

In Asthetics
Angel is played by David Boreanaz who I'm sure is a lovely person but he's not a great actor. He does improve from those awful first episodes of the series but he's just not that great. I haven't watched any episodes of Angel or his current series Bones perhaps he got much better. Oh but his Irish accent (from his life scenes) is embarassing.

Spike is played by James Marsters who is a really good actor (funny as hell) or at least he's really convincing as Spike as I haven't seen him in anything else. Also I was shocked to find recently that he's a Californian. I though he, like Spike, was British.

Let's face it, Angel is boring. His sweetness is ingenuine and fleeting and he's depressing as hell. Spike is sarcastic and funny and sweet and loyal. Yay Spike!

Ok this turned into a love letter to Spike but his story line has become the most interesting of all and is so romantic! I just love that shit! The show wouldn't be nearly as interesting without Giles and Willow and yes even Xander. Once again the supporting cast is much more interesting than the heroine.

We ended our recent Buffython at the end of the Musical episode (which is fantastic, especially the ending). Dana wouldn't leave the disks with me though. Some friend, she doesn't trust that I'd wait until we were together again to watch more.

She was right.

18 Comments:

  • You found out that he wasn't really british and you STILL like him? He must be great.

    "I love that shit!" well said, well said.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:28 AM  

  • I may be love's bitch, but I'm not an idiot. Of COURSE I don't trust you with those disks!

    By Blogger Dana Fredsti, at 11:51 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Abyss of Silence, at 4:27 PM  

  • Anon (whoever you are): I don't ONLY like Brits. It doesn't hurt though. And he can create a reasonable facsimile thereof, that's enough for me. hee hee

    Zhadi- You torturer!

    By Blogger Abyss of Silence, at 4:28 PM  

  • I need to make a blogspot account, just so you know when I comment.

    --->Victoria

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:51 AM  

  • Oh - haha. I already have one, I totally forgot.

    By Blogger Torri Nosebiter, at 10:55 AM  

  • Buffy rocks!! Angel (the series) is not bad either, although it's a totally different vibe.

    We've watched the entire series 2-3 times. They are great.

    By Blogger Reason's Whore, at 8:04 PM  

  • Oh yeah, and Spike is totally hot. I had fantasies for the longest time. Embarassing but true.

    By Blogger Reason's Whore, at 8:06 PM  

  • Toria- Your blogger id sounds painful.

    Sacred S.-(great name by the way) We’re continuing Buffython tonight! Ye-fuckin-hah! And there is nothing embarrassing about fantasizing about Spike the man is painfully hot!

    By Blogger Abyss of Silence, at 2:22 PM  

  • Hey Jen-
    It's Kimberly. I actually did a google search for my name (pathetic of me, I know, but doesn't everyone do that?) and found this! Glad you finally took a chance on Buffy. I am torn on Spike and Angel though. I loved them both. My new favorite show that no one else will watch but is really a great show is Battlestar Galactica. The first 2 1/2 seasons are available on DVD and you should definitely try it if you haven't already.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:07 AM  

  • Really?! Is this really Kimberly? The Kimberly I ate lunch with everyday along with Kim & Lisa for a couple of years? If this is really you then YAY and Hi!

    When my friend insisted on us watching Buffy I couldn't help but think about you and the abuse I heaped on you for watching Buffy. I am humbled. And you were so freaking right.

    I hope everything is peachy keen for you these days. I'm good, lovin my California. Working on plays again.

    Oh and I hear ya on Battlestar! Rick and I have been watching it since the beginning. Great show!

    By Blogger Abyss of Silence, at 10:59 AM  

  • I still haven't watched one episode of Buffy yet...or battlestar galactica for that matter.
    Hi Jen! this is lunch Lisa by the way

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:53 PM  

  • Yep-it's really me. :)
    I told Lisa and Kim both about this cause I thought it was so funny to stumble upon so you might be hearing from Kim soon too!
    Glad everything is good in California--I remember how much you wanted to get back there. I am somehow still in the NYC area, but not in the city (I live in a cute little town in Long Island. I know, Long Island and cute seem to be mutually exclusive things, but this town really is cute--sort of hidden, all old victorians, on the water, new englandy feel etc.). Just had a baby (9 months ago) and am currently staying at home taking care of him.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:50 AM  

  • Holy fucking shit! Kimberly and Lisa! It's old home week, my S&S family.

    Hi Lisa! Howya doing?

    Kimberly, like you I live in a cute little place no one really knows about. Point Richmond is a cute little turn of the century town on the east side of the bay. It has it's own little community theatre where I've done a few shows.
    Go to this link and let the pictures scroll, one of them might amuse you...
    http://masquers.org/PastProductions/relativevalues.html

    And a baby! Holy cow! Congratulations!

    By Blogger Abyss of Silence, at 9:29 AM  

  • i'm well -- actually leaving for the airport to go to south africa in about 15 minutes. i'm spending about 9 days in kruger park. not looking forward to the 20 hour flight, but so excited to see a lion (hopefully). anyway, glad to hear you're well and back to doing what you like. i'm still doing the same thing, but now i work at what was Warner Books (bought by hachette). great photo!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:51 AM  

  • David Boreanaz carries the show well. His character is more interesting when he's darker. This series is strong and deserves to stand on it's own merits. You can also watch this great show from here. So download Angel tv show and enjoy all episodes of this show..

    By Blogger calvierude, at 4:53 AM  

  • This was a really old post. In the meantime I have purchased and watched the entire Angel series and have changed my opinion of Boreanaz. I was overly harsh. Though in the first season of Buffy, I didn't think he was very good. He got better and is quite good in the series Angel. I also watch "Bones" now and quite like him in that.

    So I shouldn't have harshed on him quite so much.

    By Blogger Abyss of Silence, at 5:22 PM  

  • claimant downfall conditioners expressions shanghai hands collects papers metric canadians abstaining
    lolikneri havaqatsu

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home