Abyss of Silence

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Time for a bit of shameless self-promotion. I know my thousands... er ok, hundreds... tens of readers?.. ...ok two (happy?) the two people who read my blog are probably not dying to know but well, I'm just going to press on anyway and talk about my show that goes up the Friday after this.

Here's the official description on the Masquers website.

Having fallen for a glamorous movie starlet, the Earl of Marshwood brings his fiancée to the ancestral home to the absolute horror of his mother and servants. This glittering comedy set in the early 1950's highlights a delightful collision between starry Hollywood and stiff-upper-lip England. In the very best Coward tradition, chaos escalates from one farcical turn to another, spurring delicious dialogue, skillful asides and hilarious repartee.

Director Robert Taylor chose the play after seeing the movie version made in 2000 with Julie Andrews and Colin Firth. “The dialogue and plot got my attention and I began to think it would make a wonderful piece for the Masquers stage. I was thrilled when the theater felt the same way.”

Things have been going well of late. We hit a few bumps in the road but we'll pull it together in the end. Most of my work on the show will not be seen (Stage Manager), but I'm also a star-struck maid in a few scenes. The show is very cute and just fun.

So if you happen to stumble on my blog and happen to live in the San Franciso Bay Area, come on by!

10 Comments:

  • Oh why don't I live in the San Francisco area?!

    By Blogger Fleeting Mind, at 12:53 PM  

  • Why indeed?

    By Blogger Abyss of Silence, at 1:45 PM  

  • Oh, we'll be by...never fear! I'm sitting in the FRONT row!

    By Blogger Dana Fredsti, at 9:00 AM  

  • NO you are not. That's one of the rules.

    1. I don't want to know what performance beforehand.

    2. No sitting in the front row.

    The rules are absolute. There is no deviation. Resistance is futile.

    By Blogger Abyss of Silence, at 9:16 AM  

  • What is this, Theater for or by the Borg?!!!

    By Blogger Dana Fredsti, at 2:27 PM  

  • Who produces this theatrical production is irrelevant. Inquiry is useless. You will be assimilated.

    By Blogger Abyss of Silence, at 3:09 PM  

  • Fine. I'll be assimilated in the front row.

    Okay, I won't. I'll be good. I'll sit in the second row instead. But I'll wear a Harpo Marx glasses/nose/mustache disguise so you won't know it's me.

    By Blogger Dana Fredsti, at 8:50 AM  

  • Oh, a million congratulations and oozes of jealousy.

    So jealous in fact that the only thing I can think to say is .....Macbeth!!!

    (Just kidding, I know it isn't really bad luck unless it's spoken out loud.)

    By Blogger Imez, at 7:09 PM  

  • Zhadi- You're a bad, bad person.

    Esereth-Thank you but there is nothing to be jealous about. This is a community theatre production. You do not have to have gotten a B.A. in Theatre Arts as I did to participate. Nor is it necessary to have vast amounts of experience. Community theatre organizations are always looking for people. If there is a good community theatre company near you, go on down and volunteer for something. Or look and see if they are auditioning and give it a try.

    It’s a lot of work, working on a production, but it can prove very rewarding. I quit theatre for about 6 years while I needed a “real job” in order to support my husband and myself in New York. It was only by chance that I got sucked into working at Masquers a couple of years ago. Sucked in literally, as they slavered when I mentioned I had been a stage manager, next thing I knew I was stage-managing a show. But I’m glad. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the (for lack of a better word) “vibe” of working with theatre people. They can be many things but boring is not one of them.

    This will be my first time acting since college and on stage since high school. I’m facing a bit of a fear here.

    I considered suggesting you look for a community theatre to become involved with back when you were questioning your motivation about your book club. But then I thought, perhaps that was just arrogant.

    And MACBETH right back at ya! :) I don’t believe that shit. But then, I still don’t say it around my actors; they can be a superstitious lot.

    By Blogger Abyss of Silence, at 11:28 AM  

  • It's all about bums on seat, laddie. Bums on seats. Must keep the punters happy!

    By Blogger Dana Fredsti, at 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home