Abyss of Silence

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

To Blog or Not To Blog...

Doesn't it make you sick sometimes the words that have been turned into verbs?

Blogging
.
Scrapbooking
.
Text messaging
.
I am guilty of the first.
.
The second I've never done in my life and hopefully never will. But since I don't have children I don't think I run the risk of endeavoring to bore people later on with the banal minutiae of their early years.
.
And I do text message people generally when I don't want to talk to them or because I HATE talking on the telephone.
.
But I digress; my question is whether to carry on with this blog. Don't worry, I don't expect an outpouring of protestations or encouragement. I just don't know if I want to continue.
Another blogger recently deleted her blog and when I asked why she answered that she thought it was "shite". I actually enjoyed her blog and told her so and explained that my blog was truly lame but that I didn't care because I enjoyed it. But then it occurred to me...
.
Why?
.
Seriously, why? There is a self-indulgence about the whole thing that troubles me mainly because I'm not a writer. I read some blogs and they are really well written and thought provoking and here I am making my silly little lists. So why am I doing this? Why do I consider this fun? Am I just another fat girl looking for attention? I honestly don't know.
.
Aside from not writing anything truly meaningful, it has totally distracted me from emailing (ooh, another one of those "verbs") with my friends. I used to be a very good correspondent and now I throw a bunch of energy into this silly thing instead.
.
But then again, maybe I will indulge myself for a while longer. I do enjoy doing it. Maybe I shouldn't examine it too closely. After all, I'm not hurting anyone.
.
I just don't know.

4 Comments:

  • You don't have to think about quitting. If it's time to quit, it'll happen effortlessly. You'll lose interest, day after day.


    Don't quit.

    By Blogger Imez, at 8:00 PM  

  • I agree with Esereth. And you may not feel like blogging for a week or even a month at a time, but you're certainly NOT hurting anyone, you don't have to analyze why you're doing it, and you're entertaining those of us who like to read what you write.

    Sometimes it's possible to overthink these things...Just listen to me and drink your Lambrusco.

    By Blogger Dana Fredsti, at 4:01 PM  

  • Thanks Esereth and Zhadi.

    Ah Lambrusco! But there is no more Lambrusco. Where is my Lambrusco?

    By Blogger Abyss of Silence, at 10:49 AM  

  • Don't quit!

    You ARE a writer!

    You have a unique, heartfelt, sassy attitude that flows thorough your words. It's good reading!

    There's no need to write every day or every week. Don't apologize for not "blogging." Just wait for the muse and go!

    Don't let the Abyss of Silence fall into the Abyss of Silence!

    By Blogger freethoughtguy, at 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home