Abyss of Silence

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Man, am I a crappy writer!!

I just read my previous post and am convinced that I am a truly shitty writer. Perhaps I should have taken more care but honestly I couldn’t be bothered. I merely gleaned info about what I had been up to in the previous two months from emails I had sent to others. Life has been so hectic I had to check my previously sent emails to see what the hell it was that I had been up to and when. Jeesh!

Anyway, back to the subject at hand: bad writing. How many times did I use the word “pretty”? Please don’t go back and count I don’t want to know. How many freakin’ typos? Again, this is rhetorical. Don’t count them. Once might ask, “Well, why not go back and fix it?” I have a two-fold answer, which is:

1. I’m lazy.
2. Perhaps evidence of such pedestrian writing will shame me to try better,
although reason #1 seems prohibitive of such an outcome.

It’s funny though I am always using modifiers to either avoid certainty or affirm it resolutely. I think it’s a character quirk. Usually in my ordinary hum-drum state I avoid describing things in rigid terms unless I’m absolutely certain. Things are pretty much this and relatively like that. I think it’s a reflection of my complete inability to see anything in black and white terms. Therefore things are rarely “fun” (heh, see what I did there). They end up being “pretty fun.” Otherwise when I’m trying to be funny (big ham, I) I’ll state things in completely certain to the point of being outrageously over-the-top terms. Maybe that’s why many people don’t find me funny.

2 Comments:

  • I think you're perfect!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:04 PM  

  • Dave and I think you're pretty funny! And relatively fun, by thunder!

    By Blogger Dana Fredsti, at 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home