Abyss of Silence

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Random

I miss having a real phone. Although I'm not fond of talking on the phone in general, I hate cell phones. I only acquiesced to getting one when it became a necessity, as I did not want to make a lot of calls on someone else's phone when I was a house guest. Then we were locked into a 2-year contract and then we hung on to them because I'll have to admit, they're dashed useful things. But still I really don't like cell phones. For one thing, they're too small. Everyone seems to like the smaller ones but I don't. Not that I want the 1984 six-pounder, but one with a little more volume would be nice because I can never find it in my bag and then having to press this little thing against the side of my head while feeling like I have to yell because my mouth isn't anywhere near the thing. Another thing, the radiation. Information is dangerous in the hands of some, in mine it's merely annoying. I invariably get a psychosomatic headache if I talk on one for longer than ten minutes. I'm lame, I know. Lastly I find them aesthetically displeasing and then people take it one step further and bling them up making them more hideous. Oh well. I know they're here to stay. I'm just saying.


Not Following the Crowd...
My sister was my guru growing up and she instilled in me not only my love of particular types of music but also a sense to recognize things I'm not supposed to like because the masses like them. I became quite adept at singling out those things over the years. In general she was right about most of those things. Every once in a while though poo-pooing something made me enjoy it more. For example, music by Journey. I LOVE music by Journey. Those tremendously cheesey, and insincere power ballads make me giggle ever so. That's some quality cheese.

Of course I'm my own person now and although I've joined the fold on a few things, I still evaluate them on my own before I do so. I'm still shamed to admit that I really enjoy American Idol, something my sister has resisted. And I'm not at all shamed to say I've joined the Potter camp something my sister rails against. What can I say? She's wrong. HAHAHAHAHAH! Ok, to each her own. She doesn't have to be interested in them. All I have left to say about that is I think the lady doth protest too much.

Here are a couple of things that I cannot stand that others seem to love...
.
The Lord of the Rings movies - I only saw the first two because I wasn't going to let that string of movies steal three more hours of my life away. I just don't understand the interest in them. THEY'RE MISERABLE! I'm not fond of any of the characters and was never compelled to care whether or not they completed their task. Some may say this is because I didn't read the books. That is true. I did read The Hobbit but didn't enjoy it very much. What I did enjoy was The Belgariad. Same middle-earth kind of world but much more interesting characters and there's quite a lot of humor. The Belgariad is a collection of 5 or 6 books in two volumes. I highly recommend.

The Godfather "saga"
BORING! Now this is something my sister seemed to like. I saw the first movie, the one that started it all, the one that everyone craps their pants over and I was bored. Once again, I didn't care. Why on earth should I care about these nasty thugs? I'm extending this to The Sopranos without ever seeing it. I don't care about the mafia. They're nasty, horrible, selfish, amoral, ignoble subhumans. I don't care what motivates them, I don't care what they're feeling, and I'm not compelled by their power struggles. Such blatant immorality disturbs and offends (yes, offends) me deeply.
.
Small Talk
Dear god (if I believed in you), deliver me from small talk. We have a new person in our office and he's chatty. He's not been a total imposition but how I do dread the small talk. How was your weekend? Good morning, how are you today? And other barely scratching the surface, filler chats. I find these so wearing. I really do. If people are discussing something I'm interested in, I'll join in otherwise I really like to be left alone.
You don't want to get mixed up with a guy like me, Dotty. I'm a loner, a rebel.
Well sort of.

1 Comments:

  • As you already know, I hate LOTR. I think the Godfather is a decent movie but it is WILDLY OVERRATED. Much in the way Shawshank Redemption is. Men, get OVER Shawshank Redemption.

    Small talk? You are so right! Hate it. But even more I hate "women's talk."

    Anyway, I love Journey. And The Babys.

    By Blogger Fleeting Mind, at 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home