Abyss of Silence

Thursday, May 24, 2007

American Idol Finale

Yes, I'm a tool. I watch American Idol. I think this was a pretty good season. Unlike last season, I actually really liked several contestants. In fact from the final four on, I've liked everyone. I even liked a few who were eliminated before.

So the show kinda took on a sad note for me starting with the episode where Lakisha was eliminated. I thought, "aww! I really like Lakisha. ... oh wait, I like Jordin and Melinda and Blake too." Spoiled for choice really.

Anyway so that was a welcome surprise from last year when it came down to Cathernine McPhee and Clooney-tard... er I mean, oh whatever that dufuss' name was. Seriously his name escapes me, we just called him Clooney-tard. I'm sure he's a lovely person but that soul-patrol bullshit made my ass twitch.

I'm not surprised that Jordin won. She's delightful and a very good singer and more importantly regarding American Idol results, more palletable to the country music-enjoying audience. It seems that this country is overrun with country music loving people who are more inclined to vote in a contest like this. I've only ever voted during the Idol Gives Back event because it was for charity. I voted for Blake. Oh well.

Yes, Blake was my favorite but oh well.

Anyway what I really wanted to write about was the Finale itself: not a great episode. Ok first of all do they really need to make a two-hour meal out of it? I didn't really enjoy the performances much. I've never been able to stand Tony Bennett, Gwen Stefani (meh), Smokey Robinson was good as was Gladys Knight. I get why they had Melinda up with the people she used to back (frankly she was better then both of them) but the song was some scary religious thing. Carrie Underwood sang, "I'll stand by you" as she did during Idol Gives Back but the orchestration was too simple and didn't build as it should have. Sanjaya was as terrible and embarassing as ever. The worst performance of the night had to go to Bette Midler however.

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO BETTE MIDLER? It sounded like she'd been smoking a carton of cubans every day for the past 3 years. She fiddled with her earpiece at one point but I'm sorry there is no excuse for what I heard. Both attrocious and shocking.

Anyway, and now it's done.

5 Comments:

  • The two-hour finales for these "game show" is soooo unnecessary. They did the same thing with "Dancing with the Stars". If you cut out the one hour of commercials and half hour of crappy fillers, the finale should only take 1/2 an hour.

    It's obvious that the marketing people are in charge of these finales. Knowing how many people watch to see who wins, the shows are basically long commercials with very little show content.

    Disappointing and annoying. I guess I'll have to start TIVOing the finales and wait till the next day to see who wins.... I can fast forward through the commercials and fillers that way.

    By Blogger Rick's Mom, at 8:53 AM  

  • What DID happen to Bette Middler? Brian and I noted that 99% of the shots of her were from afar, and the closeups were too brightly lit or something. What terrible secret is she hiding?

    I've never watched an American Idol finale, I didn't realize how country-centric this was. That song that won the writing vote for the last song they sang in their sing-off the night before the finale was terrible (total country). I'm sad people were judged on how well they could sing it.

    I liked Blake better, but I'm happy Jordin won. Except for maybe two, we haven't heard anything from most of the American Idols, which is hopefully a sign that Blake will go far. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:12 PM  

  • Am I the only person who doesn't watch this tripe?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:48 AM  

  • Mom is probably the only person who doesn't watch it, other than MY mom, who feels the same way. I don't watch AMERICAN IDOL, but I've developed a fondness for SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, which in some cases should be titled 'WHY IN THE WORLD DO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE?'

    By Blogger Dana Fredsti, at 9:10 PM  

  • Monica-The American Idol finale wasn't too bad with the commercials. But yes the filler, unnecessary and seemingly random musical acts. It was just sort of boring.

    Anon- Regarding Ms. Middler, I have no idea. I don't think American Idol is intentionally country-centric. I think our country is country-centric. Totally depressing. This was the most country finale I've seen. Go Blake!

    Mom- Yes, snot-ball.

    Zhadi- I'm not going to watch the dancing one. In fact I do try to avoid all reality tv shows, well at least the ones I'm not hooked on already. I had to say that because Hell's Kitchen just started up. That's a great one and that craggy-faced Gordon Ramsay is hot!

    By Blogger Abyss of Silence, at 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home