Abyss of Silence

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Seen any good movies lately?

I have.

I generally don't go to movie theatres because I hate people. Well to be more clear, I hate people who cannot behave by either shutting up or not bringing their children. When I do go to a movie theatre I specifically go to movies that I think are inappropriate for children. But no, there's always a toddler or a baby. It never fails; the loud people and/or jerks with children always sit by me and annoy me. Bastards! And for the record I hate popcorn eaters! The constant noise of munching is distracting and really disgusting. But I digress.

So I thought I could avoid the above-mentioned annoyances by going to a REALLY inappropriate movie and at a theatre you have to take BART to because people who have to lug their children everywhere generally need a place to park their ridiculous SUV. And so Rick and I went to see Sweeney Todd in Berkeley on Saturday. My plan worked! I was able to watch a movie with only Rick's popcorn eating to annoy me. So after a few scornful glances to remind him to eat that crap with his mouth closed, I was off.

Not everyone seems to like this movie but I really did. It was visually stunning (as are most of Burton's films), I was impressed by the singing (having no great expectations), and the acting was great! Johnny Depp is perfect (as always), Helena Bonham-Carter fantastic, and I can never find wrong in Alan Rickman. Oh and hey the little boy who ends up working for Mrs. Lovett is terrific! I had never seen the show (I know, I'm a theatre person and I hadn't seen it!) so I had never known where the song, "Nothing's Gonna Harm You, Not While I'm Around" came from. I love that song and I couldn't get it out of my head afterward. It was pretty gruesome in spots but was generally so cartoonish, it didn't bother me. Anyhoo, I give it two thumbs up and perhaps even an index finger.


RENTALS
We also rented a buttload of movies too. Here's what we saw...

Blades of Glory: It was cute. That's all I can really say about it. Fun but something I don't think I'd bother to see again, unless it's for free and on a Sunday afternoon when I've got nothing else to do.


Stardust: What fun! I really enjoyed this one. Fun characters, fun plot, happy ending. This one surprised me. I just had a smile on my face by the end of it. Completely charming.



Superbad: The name says it all. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for this one but I just found it stupid. It wasn't clever, it wasn't particularly funny, and I wanted to smack the shit out of the characters. Maybe I'm getting too old for this shit.

The Illusionist: It's like the less depressing version of The Prestige. I liked both films very much although this one was predictable. My sister seems to take the Highlander approach to these films of "there can be only one," but I liked them both. And like Rick said, "it's nice to see Paul Giamanti (sp?) play a non-manic role".

Pan's Labyrinth: Wow! Very, very good and cut your friggin heart out! Not for the faint of heart, there are a couple of scenes of violence that I found hard to take. I'm generally not prissy about that stuff but man! Still, amazing film and one that each person can interpret differently. Rick's take on the ending was different from mine. I tend to interpret things more tragically than he does. We were both really upset by the end though.


H O N O R A B L E....M E N T I O N

I also wanted to mention The Fountain. We saw this about a month ago and were both floored by it. This is another film that each person can interpret differently though each interpretation will make you ball your eyes out. If you don't have a romantic bone in your body, don't bother.

5 Comments:

  • Loved "The Fountain". One of the few unique movies and beautifully filmed. I hope you got to see it on the big screen.

    Pan's Labyrinth I found disturbing on many levels. The end a bit predictable. I got the feeling it was the son of god sitting at his right hand kind of ending.

    Stardust - now I want to see it. Wasn't too sure when it was at the theaters.

    Sweeney Todd - It was on the stage?? I thought it was original - songs and story. Haven't seen this one yet. Toria didn't like it. Thought the songs went on too long. Could be she's just not "into" musicals.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:38 AM  

  • Wow, you've seen a lot of stuff recently.

    I've really had to evaluate whether or not I'm "into musicals" - there are some that i really like and some that I don't. I really liked the story of Sweeney Todd, though... everyone it it was phenomenal. The little boy was great and even Sacha Cohen was impressive. It's the sing-talking that I got enough of in Jesus Christ Super Star that I just wish had been shorter.

    Pan's Labyrinth made me cry like a baby. Something about it really struck me - but then, I cried in the same way when we opened our new George Foreman G5 grill at Christmas. I'm just emotional.

    I really didn't want to see Stardust, but it's gotten a lot of good reviews from people I know so I'll check it out sometime.

    We saw the illusionist before we saw the Prestige. I thought they were both good, but I liked the Prestige a little bit more because I couldn't predict what was going to happen. Brian figured the Prestige out before the end, but I didn't believe him (no! Surely not!)

    We, through perhaps nefarious (but wholly unknown to me) sources, got the opportunity to see No Country for Old Men on DVD the other night. I've been wanting to see it again for a while and it was even better the second time. If you get a chance to see it, let me know what you think. A lot of people didn't like it, but I was riveted by it.

    CHEERS!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:55 PM  

  • Todd was quite good. I wasn't expecting much either. Saw no blood because I covered my eyes during those parts. Best acting: Helena Bonham Carter and Sasha's "unit."

    Sorry, The Illusionist is a sad, sad, retarded cousin of The Prestige. Just as Blades is a pathetic second cousin to Talladega Nights.

    Wasn't Pan's good? Saw it for free when it came out.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:05 AM  

  • Jen, your grandmothers and I saw Sweeney Todd on the stage in Los Angeles many years ago. After the initial shock of the first murder, I really enjoyed it. Not so, the grandmas! It starred George Hearn and Angela Lansbury.

    By Blogger Lillian Campbell, at 4:59 PM  

  • You've been busy, Ms. J!

    I just saw STARDUST last weekend and absolutely loved it. Pan's Labyrinth, same thing and I agree re: the violence. I intrepreted the ending in the more positive light, although would you want to sit on a throne that high?

    Haven't seeen Sweeny Todd, but want to!

    By Blogger Dana Fredsti, at 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home